Monday, September 1, 2014

Post-Apocalypse Cartoon

I've been deeply immersed in the post-apocalyptic world of Wasteland. So much fun to design cartoony characters in a relatively dark and gritty setting.

Wrote a story for these dudes, but I can't write, so I deleted it. There. Cole Westwood is my favorite :)



I guess you'll just have to figure out the story with your imagination ;)

Repost, but with the visual template...



Silhouette-check! Are they varied and easily distinguishable from each other? Is the overall shape-language consistent?



I figured I'd attach some of the really rough sketches I do before making the actual drawing. Don't usually show this :) I like to have a clear vision in my head of where I'm going before I invest in a proper lineart, and doing rough sketches is one of the tools.


Photostudies! Shape, shape, shape and shape. I don't know if this is the right way to think, but I'm testing it out.



Mooooaaarrr studies!!! I just lost interest once I reached the face, so meh.



OOooohoho, have I got some treats for you today! :) 



4 comments:

Dado Almeida said...

IN_CRE_DI_BLE portraits man.
Even not knowing Wasteland franchise (what a shame), I totally dig the look and feel of this chars. If you aren´t going to paint in your full rendered style, I think all of them would benefit of a 'simple' flat colors+shadown, maybe fit each one in a card-game layout with some info/skills attached??

Anyway. What a class Helgeson.

Johannes Helgeson said...

Whoa, thanks Dado! Hmm, I feel I need to practice shadow-shapes, so your idea is pretty good :) I'll consider the card-template. Cheers mate :D

Betty Szwagierczak said...

great characters, very unique and full of personality :) keep it up!

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thanks Betty! :D I always try to think of a story and what motivates the character. Glad you like 'em ;) I will!