Sunday, August 12, 2012

Good Enough?

Hello! Here are some concept design sketches. They take about 1-2 hours to create. The purpose is mostly to convey the design to the next person in the pipeline as quickly as possible, so I don't spend much time on trying to "sell" the image. Hopefully they are at that "good enough" level of finish, where they can be shown to an AD and also provide the animator and 3D artist with sufficient info. I'm trying to focus on big primary shapes of color and secondary shadowshapes, then an extra value for highlights. Cheap rimlight.... :/




4 comments:

Thomas Allansson said...

well, as a fledgling 3d-artist I can see most details that I would like to have. Posing, character type, general clothes and details are all there. You have given them enough character so its quite clear what animations, weapons and movements they would use.

The only questionmark, and this took some thinking to find, is the legs of the flying shaman, something about the skirt and how they would hang...
He also seems quite goofy compared to the rest and doesn't fit into the typical skin and bones stereotype I have of people of magic.

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thanks buddy! I'm glad :D Yeah, his legs were a bit tricky to convey, they're meant to be stretched out, making them look almost as if they have one joint less. Thank you for your honest critique, I appreciate it! Perhaps I'll iterate :)

Jeff Maka Merghart said...

all of your Swordblade character designs make we want to draw!!! They're great as usual!

Johannes Helgeson said...

Thank you Jeff! That's what I feel when I see your art :D Making these, fast and with no client, was a fun change of pace!